The business letter is the essential medium of written communication. There are many purposes of a business letter which is described below
Purpose of a Business Letter
A letter serves two purposes
- Primary Purpose of a business letter
- Secondary Purpose of a business letter
The primary purpose of a business letter
A letter may have its primary purpose to:
- Enquire Order
Secondary Purpose of a business letter
- Get and Hold attention: Catching and keeping the attention of your reader are essential to getting action. A letter must begin in such a way that makes appeals to the reader. The very first sentence must get and hold attention, capture interest, and make the reader want to continue reading.
- State the Matter clearly and Concisely: Most business people are busy and have little time to waste to get the meaning of a letter. They may not go through lengthy paragraphs to clear exact information. So, a letter must include the message clearly and concisely to achieve the desired results.
- Establish Confidence and Get Action: To gain the confidence of the reader, a writer must show interest in the reader and his needs and states the message with the appropriate tone. This will make people respond positively i.e. the desired action can be achieved.
A flowchart is given above about the purpose of business a letter which gives you a glance idea about the purpose of the business letter. To see a large click on the image.
Related Content of Written Communication:
- Differences between Government and Semi-Government Letter
- Difference between Official and Demi-Official Letters
- How to Write a Business Memo Format with Example
- Functions of Memo / Memorandum
- Official Business Letter and its Features
- Difference between Business and Official Letters
- Difference between a Business letter and Personal Letter
- Business Memo Example (practical example)
- Types of Memo Used in Internal Communication
- Demi Official Letter Definition
- Features of Demi Official Letter or Demi Government Letter
- Brevity and Courtesy of Business Letter
- Functions of a Business Letter
- How to Write a Business Letter with Sample
- How to Improve Writing Skills Easily in Effective Way
- Structure or Parts of a Business Letter
- Difference between Memo and Letter