Oral communication is the finest way of communication for every purpose but some time it can be failure for some reason. Here we discuss about causes of failure of oral communication.
Causes of failure of oral communication
Oral communication creates misunderstanding, confusion, distortion of facts and leads to communication breakdown. The following are the reasons for which oral communication becomes ineffective:
Oral communication creates misunderstanding, confusion, distortion of facts end leads to communication break down
- Lack of Planning: In case of oral communication, speaker provides more importance on the speaking style rather than planning for the- subject matter. As a result, receiver gets confused and hence communication failure arises.
- Sluggishness: Sometimes oral communication involves any topic to be discussed for a long time. This may call for inattentiveness of the audience. For this reason, the objective of communication will fail.
- Quickness: Oral communication happens within a short span of time. Also there may be quick feedback but without proper thinking. Such thing may cause disturbance to the flow of oral communication.
- Lack of thinking: Generally, when communication is required, we need to think .properly for the whole, communication process and its completion. But in oral communication, we don’t have enough time to think a lot. Therefore, such communication fails to become successful.
- Poor presentation: Poor or faulty presentation will confuse the receiver. If the speaker fails to present the information in a nice way then the objective of communication will go in vain.
- Inattentiveness: It is very difficult to hold the attention of the receiver for a long time. Moreover, feedback also requires the speaker to be attentive. Lack of concentration will cause disturbance in the oral communication.
- Emotion: During the time of delivery of speech, the speaker may become emotional which will hamper the transmission of message. Hence the receiver will remain in the dark.
- Lack of review: The object matter of the communication requires proper review or evaluation for the betterment of further communication. But such review is not possible in oral communication if time is limited.
- Status: If the speaker holds higher status, then he may hesitate to communicate with the person in lower level. Such person may not give proper honor to the audience also. Here oral communication fails to fulfill the objective of communication.
- Wrong Interpretation: If the receiver makes wrong explanation of the topics or subject matter of oral communication then the whole communication process breaks up. So wrong interpretation causes failure to oral communication.
Related Content of Oral Communication:
- Characteristics of Oral Communication
- 12 Principles of Effective Oral Communication
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Oral Communication
- When the Use of Oral Communication Becomes More Effective
- Difference between Oral and Written Communication
- Which One is More Acceptable between Oral and Written Communication?