Normally a private secretary is middle management level. Duties of private secretary depends on that person for who he work for. Some major duties of private secretary and importance of private secretary are discuss below:
Importance of Private Secretary
A private secretary is a person who performs personal as well as official activities on behalf of his employer. He takes dictation and transcribes, makes appointment for the executives and reminds him of this appointment, interviews people, answers phone calls, deals with correspondence, convenes meeting and supervises clerical works.
A private secretary is considered to be the secret agent and deals with confidential issues of his employer. He is known as spokesman for his ‘Boss’ as he maintains public relations. He works as a facilitator for his employer and manages social and familial” ceremony. He acts as a conductor for his employer and keeps books of accounts and also executes financial transactions.
The job of a private secretary is highly important. He is appointed to reduce the burden of his employer who is a very busy person. He acts as an extension of his ‘Boss’ and executes assigned responsibilities. If he is efficient, his ‘Boss’ finds all tasks simple. Therefore the importance of a private secretary is agreed and well-reputed in all society.
Functions / Responsibilities and Duties of Private Secretary
The duties of private secretary depends upon the functions or nature of activity of the respective employer. Overall his duties can be described by the following points:
- Routine functions: Every private secretary has to perform certain routine duties like writing & receiving letters, filing & indexing papers, maintaining records & accounts, organizing meeting and conducting different programs for the employer.
- Taking dictation: Taking dictation from the ‘Boss’ and therefore typing the letter and dispatch it to the receiver is known to be the common function of a private secretary.
- Public relation: A private secretary maintains public relation on behalf of the employer. He communicates through phone, fax or e-mail and prepares the list of persons seeking interview with the employer.
- Meeting related functions: The private secretary prepares agenda, issues notices convening the meeting, arranges for meeting place and entertains the participants.
- Maintaining accounts: In many situations, a private secretary maintains records and accounts of the employer. Moreover he files income tax-return and makes banking activity on behalf of his employer.
- Household activity: The private secretary sometimes deals with household activity of his employer such as payment of utility bill, tuition fees and wages towards relevant parties of the house.
- Social activity: Personal secretary receives and sends various social letters like congratulation letters, sympathy letters, thank-you letters, appreciation arid invitation letters etc. He also attends social and religious functions with the employer.
- Report preparation: A private secretary prepares various needful reports for his employer. He also takes note for necessary adjustments to the report.
There may be more duties of private secretary but we mention here most common thing.
Related Content of Secretarial Function:
- Appointment of Company Secretary in Effective Ways
- Reasons for Dismissal of Company Secretary
- Company Secretary Definition
- Role of Company Secretary in Every Stage
- Types of Secretary with its Definition
- Company Secretary Qualification and Qualities
- Duties of Private Secretary
- Definition and Qualities or Features of a Private Secretary
- Powers and Rights of Company Secretary
- Legal Status or Position of Company Secretary
- Company Secretary Duties and Responsibilities
- Importance of Company Secretary
- Liabilities of Company Secretary