As our economic, political or social environment are changing constantly, there is a need of different types of secretary. The following types of secretaries are common now a day:
Secretary is a vital post for any company or organization. But it mainly depend on company or organization. We can also classified by job type.
Types of Secretary
- Personal or private secretary: A Secretary who helps an individual regarding his personal activity is known as personal or private secretary. Generally high profile people like ministers, political leaders, lawyers or doctors appoint a personal secretary to assist their activity.
- Company secretary: A company secretary is appointed to perform ministerial or administrative duties of a joint stock company. He is a full-time principal officer and acts under the orders of the Board of Directors.
- Secretary of a club: Non-trading organization, social welfare organization, cultural & sports club appoint secretary to run these concerns properly. Some-times a member of the club assumes the role of a secretary without any pay.
- Secretary of a co-operative society: A secretary of a cooperative society performs the routine job and he may be any member from the executive committee of the society.
Types of Secretary
- Secretary of an Embassy: Here the secretary is the next to the Ambassador and appointed by the Government of his country. He helps the Ambassador to conduct operation and performs under the authority of the Ambassador.
- Secretary of a trade union: A person who conducts and controls the operational activities of the labor organization is known as the secretary of a trade Union. He arranges meeting, prepares minutes of the meeting and keeps record of the books of account.
- Secretary of a self-governing body: Union council, upozilla Council, Municipal Corporation, and District Council also appoint secretary to supervise the daily operation of these bodies.
- Ministerial secretary: Each ministry of a government has a chief Executive officer who is known as a secretary such as foreign secretary, Home secretary, Education secretary e, t, c, Ministerial secretary operates the government machinery on behalf of the respective minister.
- Secretary of a political organization: A secretary of a political party may be selected or elected from the party members who hold an important status in the party. He plans and executes policies, organizes the meeting related activities and acts as a spokesman.
Types of secretary mention above is not all but there are many more types of secretary. We discuss here about most common types of secretary. Basically types of secretary depends on company or organizations.
Definition of Secretary
The word secretary has been derived from the Latin word ‘Secretarius’ which means secret. As we know secret refers to something, which is not disclosed or something kept as confidential. Therefore, a secretary is a person who performs such activities which are confidential in nature. But in modern days, a secretary does not deal with secrets only; he carries on correspondence, documentation & recording, meeting related functions, supervision and various administrative jobs.
According to explanation from Oxford Dictionary, “a secretary is a person who is employed to conduct correspondence on behalf of an individual or a company and also to execute filing, documentation and administrative functions”.
It is very difficult to provide a universal definition of a secretary because his activity differs according to the scope or function of an organization. But we can conclude that a secretary is a person who is “entrusted to perform all sorts of correspondence whether oral or written and deals with meeting, documentation & recording and other administrative work of an entity.
Related Content of Secretarial Function:
- Appointment of Company Secretary in Effective Ways
- Reasons for Dismissal of Company Secretary
- Company Secretary Definition
- Role of Company Secretary in Every Stage
- Company Secretary Qualification and Qualities
- Duties of Private Secretary
- Definition and Qualities or Features of a Private Secretary
- Powers and Rights of Company Secretary
- Legal Status or Position of Company Secretary
- Company Secretary Duties and Responsibilities
- Importance of Company Secretary
- Liabilities of Company Secretary