Speech is the most common and great way of communication but it also has some advantages and disadvantages of speech which are mentioned below:
Advantages of speech
Speech has some specific advantages which do not have in other media of communication which are discussed below:
- Time-Saving: When communication is needed quick speech is the best solution and it is the most important advantage of speech.
- Cost-saving: It doesn’t require much preparation so, speech decreases the expense of communication.
- Suitability: Speech (I mean oral communication) is suitable for every literate and illiterate people.
- Immediate feedback: It can give immediate feedback rather than other communication.
- Developing a friendly relation: A good speech can develop a friendly relationship between speaker and listener.
- Motivation and control: Obviously, a good speech can motivate and control people for that specific purpose.
- Flexibility: Flexibility is one of the most important advantages of speech.
- Meaningful medium: A good speech can control the audience meaningfully.
Speech provides various advantages for communication with people for various purposes and it enjoys the above advantages.
Limitations / Disadvantages of Speech
The following Disadvantages/Limitation of Speech is located:
1. No Record: In most cases, speech is not written or recorded and therefore it cannot be used as a reference in the future.
2. Legal validity: Speeches do not have any legal validity until and unless they are taped or recorded permanently.
3. Remoteness: Speeches cannot be delivered if the sender and receiver are isolated from each other and there is no mechanical device to connect them.
4. Conflict and confusion: Speech cannot be kept in mind for a long time as human memory has a limitation. Therefore as the days advance, people get confused about the past event. Such things cause misunderstanding regarding delivered speech.
5. Complexity: If there is a huge audience, it may be difficult to understand the speech due to a poor sound system. This may lead to complexity regarding speech. Moreover, the emotion of the orator may make the message complex to be understood by the recovery.
6. Less Valuable: Where written communication is essential, speech has nothing to do. Moreover, if the situation requires prompt decision then speech may not be effective there. Usually, speech carries less weight than written communication.
In spite of the above limitations, speech acts as a strong medium of communication. Hope you find all advantages and disadvantages of speech otherwise, leave a comment below.
Related Content of Oral Communication:
- Characteristics of Oral Communication
- Types of Meetings and its Definition and Purposes
- How to Conduct a Formal Meeting in Effective Way
- Characteristics and importance of a Good Speech
- How to Prepare a Speech in Effective Way
- Causes of Failure of Oral Communication
- When the Use of Oral Communication Becomes More Effective
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Oral Communication
- Interviewer?s Preparation for the Interview
- Types of Interviews and Interview Technique for Interviewer