Speech is the most common and great way of communication but it also has some advantages and disadvantages of speech which is mention below:
Advantages of speech
Speech has some specific advantages which do not have in other media of communication which are discuss below:
- Time Saving: When communication needed for quick speech is the best solution and it is the most important advantages of speech.
- Cost saving: It don’t require much preparation so, speech decrease the expense of communication.
- Immediate feedback: It can give immediate feedback rather then other communication.
- Developing friendly relation:
- Motivation and control
- Meaningful medium
Speech provides various advantages for communication with people for various purpose and it enjoy the above advantages.
Limitation / Disadvantages of Speech
The following Disadvantages/Limitation of Speech is located:
- No Record: In most of the cases speech is not written or recorded and therefore it cannot be used as a reference in future.
- Legal validity: speeches do not have any legal validity until and unless they are taped or recorded permanently.
- Remoteness: Speeches cannot be delivered if sender and receiver are isolated to each other and there is no mechanical device to connect them.
- Conflict and confusion: speech cannot be kept in mind for a long time as human memory has limitation. Therefore as the days advance, persons get confused about the past event. Such things cause misunderstanding regarding delivered speech.
- Complexity: If there is huge audience, it may be difficult to understand the speech due to poor sound system. This may lead to complexity regarding speech. Moreover the emotion of the orator may make the message complex to be understood by the recover.
- Less Valuable: Where written communication is essential, speech has nothing to do. Moreover, if situation requires prompt decision then speech may not be effective there. Usually, speech carries less weight than written communication.
In spite of the above limitations speech acts as a strong medium of communication.
Related Content of Oral Communication:
- Characteristics of Oral Communication
- Types of Meetings and its Definition and Purposes
- How to Conduct a Formal Meeting in Effective Way
- Characteristics and importance of a Good Speech
- How to Prepare a Speech in Effective Way
- Causes of Failure of Oral Communication
- When the Use of Oral Communication Becomes More Effective
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Oral Communication
- Interviewer’s Preparation for the Interview
- Types of Interviews and Interview Technique for Interviewer