The company secretary has a great role in every type of company. The company secretary definition will clear the concept of the company secretary.
The company secretary definition is given below:
The person who performs office correspondence of a company or supervises such activity is known as a company secretary. He is in charge of dealing with directors, members, staff, the Registrar of Companies, and other government authorities and institutions.
Our Company Act 1994, Sec 2 (ii) termed Company secretary as a high official, Indian Company Act (amended in 1974) defines a Company Secretary as a person who possesses the prescribed qualifications and is appointed to perform duties, which may be performed by a secretary under this Act and any other ministerial or administrative duties. This definition highlights the following three (3) matters-:
(a) An individual may be appointed as a company secretary; a firm or corporate body cannot be appointed as a company secretary.
(b) A company secretary must possess the prescribed qualification.
(c) The duties of a company secretary are administrative, not managerial
Moreover, a company secretary can be defined as:
- An officer: He is appointed as per the company Act.
- A servant: He serves administrative work.
- An adviser: He provides important advice to the board of directors.
- An agent: He signs various agreements and contracts.
- A coordinator: He coordinates the activities of different units and departments.
Therefore a company secretary is a top-level officer having prescribed qualifications as per the company act and acts as a liaison officer, with directors, staff, Registrar of the companies, shareholders, and other outsiders.
Related Content of Secretarial Function:
- Appointment of Company Secretary in Effective Ways
- Reasons for Dismissal of Company Secretary
- Role of Company Secretary in Every Stage
- Types of Secretary with its Definition
- Company Secretary Qualification and Qualities
- Duties of Private Secretary
- Definition and Qualities or Features of a Private Secretary
- Powers and Rights of Company Secretary
- Legal Status or Position of Company Secretary
- Company Secretary Duties and Responsibilities
- Importance of Company Secretary
- Liabilities of Company Secretary