The memo also known as the memorandum has a great importance nowadays. It has been said that the purpose of memo / functions of memo is to help everyone to become better organized.
In business, employees and managers write millions of memos each day. The goal of better organization can be met only if each of these memos is well written.
Memos are a form of communication with others in your organization. Memos sometimes called internal letters or inter-office correspondence, it should be used to convey information, making requests, provide responses and present informal reports.
Functions of memo
Function of memo can be explained in terms of following points:
- Providing Information:Memos are used to convey information. This information may be about a new policy, an explanation or revision of an existing policy or procedure to implement any policy. For example: Changes in supervisory positions or special events within the organizations, the annual picnic or any schedule may be conveyed by the memos.
To: All Employees
From: A. Rahim
Date: December 30, 2005.
Subject: Annual Employees Picnic.
This year’s annual picnic will be held on Wednesday, January 15, 2006, at the National Park from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Please plan to attend and you are welcome to bring your families.
Make your reservations with Sweety in Personnel Department before noon,
Monday, January 13, 2006.
See you there.
2)Make Requests:When additional information is required, there we can use the memo to request for further information e.g. to attend a meeting by a specific person, or to take prompt action or any matter requests are usually made in memo form.
3)Provide Response:Requests made by memo are usually answered by memo. e.g. confirmation of attending any meeting or explaining the reason for not attending the meeting, accept or reject an invitation, to represent the organization at any outside meeting or other activity can be answered through a memo.
Manager, Data Processing
Date: July 25, 2005.
Subject: Department Heads Meeting. Tuesday, March 7
I am committed to make a presentation to the national conference of the Data Processing Managers Association on Tuesday, March 7. Please plan to represent the Data Processing Department at the department heads meeting on Tuesday, March 7, at 9.30 a.m. in the sixth-floor conference room.
I will look forward to your report of the meeting when I return on Thursday, March 9.
4)Present informal Report:Informal reports are commonly used by managers in planning, organizing, motivating and controlling. Such reports can be presented through memo containing information regarding managerial decisions and also recommend a solution to a problem being researched.
Related Content of Written Communication:
- Difference of Government and Semi Government Letter
- Difference between Official and Demi-Official Letters
- How to Write a Business Memo Format with Example
- Functions of Memo / Memorandum
- Official Business Letter and its Features
- Difference between Business and Official Letters
- Difference between Business letter and Personal Letter
- Business Memo Example (practical example)
- Types of Memo Used in Internal Communication
- Demi Official Letter Definition
- Features of Demi Official Letter or Demi Government Letter
- Brevity and Courtesy of Business Letter
- Purpose of a Business Letter
- Functions of a Business Letter
- How to Write a Business Letter with Sample
- How to Improve Writing Skills Easily in Effective Way
- Structure or Parts of a Business Letter
- Difference between Memo and Letter