Though both business and official letters are essential for business communication, there is some certain difference between Business and official letters.
There is various difference between business and official letters such as:
|Points of Difference
|The purpose of the official letter is to serve the official interest.
|The purpose of Business letters is to create or maintain business or business relations.
|Its nature is official.
|Its nature is business.
|An official order, instruction, circular, and notices are expressed through an official letter.
|Various functions of business such as trading, manufacturing, marketing, human resources activities, procurement of materials, acquisition and disposal of assets, credit management, advertisement of the product line, and liaison with various private and govt. bodies are dealt with through the business letters.
|A specific and pre-determined structure is required to be followed to write such a letter.
|Any type of formal structure can be followed here.
|There may or may not be any salutation in such a letter.
|Salutation is compulsory here.
|6. Complimentary close
|There is no courteous complimentary close in such a letter.
|The courteous complimentary close is a must in such a letter.
|It can use both direct and indirect methods.
|It uses only the direct method.
|Its size is smaller than the business letter.
|Its size is larger than the official letter.
|9. Use of Language
|It is written in terms of specific and traditional language.
|Convincing and attractive language is used in such a letter.
|Here, the relation between the sender and the receiver is not significant at all.
|The relation is the key factor here.
The difference between business and official letters given above will help to clarify the idea about business letters and official letters.
Related Content of Written Communication:
- Differences between Government and Semi-Government Letter
- Difference between Official and Demi-Official Letters
- How to Write a Business Memo Format with Example
- Functions of Memo / Memorandum
- Official Business Letter and its Features
- Difference between a Business letter and Personal Letter
- Business Memo Example (practical example)
- Types of Memo Used in Internal Communication
- Demi Official Letter Definition
- Features of Demi Official Letter or Demi Government Letter
- Brevity and Courtesy of Business Letter
- Purpose of a Business Letter
- Functions of a Business Letter
- How to Write a Business Letter with Sample
- How to Improve Writing Skills Easily in Effective Way
- Structure or Parts of a Business Letter
- Difference between Memo and Letter