Effective communication is the blood of a business. A business can’t imagine it’s success with our effective communication. In this regard we provide here effective communication definition and its internal and external activities.
Effective Communication Definition
A communication is effective when the massage is understood and when it encourages the receiver to think and take action.
Effective communication definition according to Griffin ‘Effective communication is the process of sending a message in such a way that the message received is as close in meaning as possible to the message intended”.
Effective communication definition according to American Management Association (AMA), a communication is said to be effective because of the following ten (10) commandants;
Communication is effective when the stimulus as it was initiated and intended by the sender or source, corresponds closely with the stimulus as it is perceived and responded to by the receiver: Tubbs and Moss
- Clear idea regarding topics and receiver of communication.
- Determination of purpose
- Understanding the environment of communication.
- Planning for communication with consulting others.
- Consider the content of the message;
- To make receiver aware regarding the value of communication.
- There must be feedback from the receiver.
- To define properly, whether communication messages are of short run or long run importance.
- All actions must be suitable with communication.
- Good listening.
Image given below give you clear idea about effective communication definition. To make it large click on the picture.
Boree, Thill & Sehatzman in their ‘Business Communication Today’ have described the benefits of effective communication as follows:
Let us consider the following two statements
- I will pay you very soon &
- I will pay you in the coming Sunday
Which of the above statements is effective? Obviously the second one as the date is clearly specified to raise definite understanding in the mind of receiver or listener. Whereas the first statement is totally a vague one and ineffective.
So, an effective communication is one when both sender and receiver of the message perceive the message in the same sense i.e. the intention of the sender is clearly forwarded to the receiver.
Note: Stock holder means: shareholders, creditors suppliers, debtors, Bank, regulatory bodies, govt. and others who have particular interest in any business concern.
Effective communication definition is not enough for effective communication. So some major internal and external activities of business communication are discuss below.
Business is Communication
In common word business means an enterprise which engaged with producing product and distribution of that product to the market for the hope of selling them. In other word business means being busy with some financial activities. A business will be busy for what purpose, with whom and how, simply to answer as follows:
What purpose? To earn profit.
With whom? With management and external parties.
How? Through effective communication.
So, Business requires ‘Communication’ with its management and external parties in order to maximize business profit. Therefore, in all the ways, all business functions or operation finally drive to communication and that is why it can be rightly said that Business is communication.
To make more clear idea regarding such statement, we can have a brief look at internal and external activities of a business:
* Internal activities: A business concern has several departments having different and distinctive functions intended towards same goal such as:
All the departments of a business require co-ordination, co-operation, integration of their activities & functions and that is why they need to communicate with each other through meeting, letters, memos, vouchers, notices, slip, fax, telephone, computers and with other media and tools.
* External Activities: A business functions with the various external parties in the following ways.
All the above activities of a business directly or indirectly, formally or informally creates communication and involves various media and tools of communication. But, every one should know about effective communication definition.
Related Content of Introduction:
- Difference between Business Communication and General Communication
- Multipurpose Uses of Business Communication
- Importance of Cross-Cultural Communication
- Factors that Influence Communication in Business
- How do cultural differences affect communication
- Importance of Communication in Management
- Importance of Communication in Business
- Communication and Relationship Management
- Cultural Orientation in Communication
- Essential Condition of Communication Program
- How to Improve Cross Cultural Communication
- Basic Management Functions
- Difference between the Communication Process and Communication Model
- Principles of Effective Business Communication
- Principles of Effective Communication
- Advantages or Importance of Feedback in Communication
- Steps for Overcoming Communication Barriers in Business Enterprise