Can Management move without Communication? Communication is the essence of organizational activities depends on communication. It is one of the most important facilitators of basic management functions and managerial activities.
Communication and management- are interrelated. Various management scholars have given the same consent that without communication, management is impossible and therefore communication is considered as the lifeblood of management.
In this regard, Koontz said Communication is a fundamental, complete and extensive process for management. And it is a common process to all.
How management is dependent on communication can be justified by the following two aspects:
Basic Management Functions
Management means planning, organizing, directing, motivating and controlling. To do such functions, managers must maintain active and effective communication.
- Planning: It means what is to be done in future. It helps the managers to run the organization skillfully and economically. Therefore managers must collect various information, exchange words, consult with others and take a decision. All these activities require communication.
- Organizing: Land, labor, capital, and machinery are required for any organization to operate itself in the market. All these resources are not available always. Collecting resources from the right sources in time is organizing. A manager must maintain a good communication in this regard.
- Directing: To utilize the resources properly it requires proper direction from the managers. To direct resources in the right channel and to get optimum benefit, a manager must be conscious about effective communication.
- Motivating: It stimulates a person to give his full effort. It helps to inspire employees to develop their performance. Motivation should be situational and therefore managers must have proper idea and knowledge through communication.
- Co-ordinating: Modern management provides emphasis on division of work. Managers must coordinate the respective activities of various departments or division and therefore entire divisional communication should be established.
- Controlling: Whether activities are properly functioning or not is required to be checked regularly arid therefore communication is a pre-requisite here to collect information A It is the communication which helps managers to obtain information from various servers and take corrective measure to attain the organizational goal.
A flowchart given above about basic management functions will clear concept about basic management functions. Click on the image for large view.
Activities of an Executive:
Following are the list of daily, activities of an executive:
- Inform subordinates with various information,
- Explanation of plan & policies taken by the respective department,
- Giving order for work and idea for how to work,
- Collecting information from internal as well as external sources,
- Giving advice as required by the subordinates.
- Motivating subordinates to work efficiently,
- Continuous connection with the top level management.
From the above discussion, it is very clear that all managerial functions, as well as the function of an executive, cannot be possible if there is no communication. So management operates functions and moves with the help of communication and the following figure can be best suited here.
Soy Communication makes the management process possible and serves as the lubricant for its smooth operation. For this reason, management includes communication.
Related Content for Introduction:
- Difference between Business Communication and General Communication
- Multipurpose Uses of Business Communication
- Importance of Cross-Cultural Communication
- Factors that Influence Communication in Business
- Effective Communication Definition for Effective Communication
- How do cultural differences affect communication
- Importance of Communication in Management
- Importance of Communication in Business
- Communication and Relationship Management
- Cultural Orientation in Communication
- Essential Condition of Communication Program
- How to Improve Cross-Cultural Communication
- Difference between the Communication Process and Communication Model
- Principles of Effective Business Communication
- Principles of Effective Communication
- Advantages or Importance of Feedback in Communication
- Steps for Overcoming Communication Barriers in Business Enterprise