Upward communication and downward communication both are important ways of business communication but there is some certain difference between upward and downward communication.
The following are the difference between upward and downward communication:
|Points of difference
|It is the process of sending a message from a superior to a subordinate.
|It is the opposite of downward communication i.e. it flows from subordinate to superior.
|Such communication includes instructions, orders, advice, and the like: so it is directive in nature.
|It includes suggestions, complaints, and the like so. It is nondirective in nature.
|It is suitably found in an authoritarian environment.
|It is found in a democratic environment.
|It is to supply the subordinates with relevant information.
|It serves the purpose of feedback i.e. whether the subordinates have properly received the message.
|It takes place several times to give orders, advice, and directions to a subordinate.
|It does not occur so frequently.
|People find little scope to distort the message here because such communication is authoritarian.
|Message can be distorted here intentionally as subordinates have expectations to be fulfilled such as job promotion.
|Here, higher authority takes the initiative to make communicate.
|Here, lower-level employees take the initiative to establish communication.
|It is an instruction type of management.
|It is like consultative management.
Related Content of Types of Communication:
- Difference between Oral and Written Communication
- 12 Principles of Effective Oral Communication
- Example of Downward Communication in Organization
- Effective Written Communication and Principles of Effective Writing
- Vertical Communication Definition
- Advantages and disadvantages of Vertical Communication
- Difference between Horizontal and Vertical Communication
- Copy Writing in Mass Communication
- Mass Communication Industry
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Upward Communication
- Upward Communication Example, Sample, and Template
- Mass Communication Skills Test and Mass Communication System
- Media for Horizontal Communication
- How to Solve the Problems of Horizontal Communication
- Different kinds / Types of Communication
- Lateral / Horizontal Communication Definition with Example
- Informal Communication Network Pattern
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Written Communication
- Business Application of Verbal Communication
- Which One is More Acceptable between Oral and Written Communication?
- Distortion in Upward Communication Channel
- Factors that Influence Downward Communication