When an organization maintains communication inside, it communicates through a chain of command but when communication needed it doesn’t follow the chain of commandant that is commonly known as vertical communication. Detail vertical communication definition is given below:
Vertical communication definition
A communication that exists between superior and subordinate can be termed as vertical communication.
When the communication process flows from upward to downward in other words from superior to subordinate it is called downward communication.
And when it is reversed i.e. from subordinate to superior, these types of communication are called upward communication.
Therefore both upward and downward in together make vertical communication. This type’s communication can be shown below:
When vertical communication follows to downward trend then it involves directions, instructions, order, or advice, whereas vertical communication following an upward trend involves problem defining, giving an opinion, and reporting.
Vertical communication uses both oral and written methods to fulfill the objective of communication. It can use oral communication like face to face or telephonic conversation; meetings, seminars, etc.
On the other side, letters, memos, notices, reports, and other written documents are used for written communication.
A flow chart is given above about vertical communication. This flowchart will give at a glance idea about vertical communication. Click on the image to see a large view.
Therefore, communication happening between two or more persons having a different level, rank, or designation can be defined as vertical communication.
Related Content of Types of Communication:
- Difference between Oral and Written Communication
- 12 Principles of Effective Oral Communication
- Example of Downward Communication in Organization
- Effective Written Communication and Principles of Effective Writing
- Difference between Upward and Downward Communication
- Advantages and disadvantages of Vertical Communication
- Difference between Horizontal and Vertical Communication
- Copy Writing in Mass Communication
- Mass Communication Industry
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Upward Communication
- Upward Communication Example, Sample and Template
- Mass Communication Skills Test and Mass Communication System
- Media for Horizontal Communication
- How to Solve the Problems of Horizontal Communication
- Different kinds / Types of Communication
- Lateral / Horizontal Communication Definition with Example
- Informal Communication Network Pattern
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Written Communication
- Business Application of Verbal Communication
- Which One is More Acceptable between Oral and Written Communication?
- Distortion in Upward Communication Channel
- Factors that Influence Downward Communication