In the business world, various letters are communicated and among them inquiry letter is a one which seeks information for future decision. Definition, forms and content of inquiry letter are described below:
Generally when a buyer sends a letter to a producer or seller of a product or service to know about any product or service in detail such a letter is termed as inquiry letter.
Definition of inquiry letter
In broad sense, when a buyer wishes to get some information about the quantity, price, quality and availability of goods or about the terms of sale, he writes a letter to the seller known to be inquiry letter. Here you can get definition, forms and content of inquiry letter.
As Gartside said: “An inquiry letter asks information like catalogue, quotation, sample, cost of a product from a seller in a concise and clear way.”
J. H Jains quoted: “The business letter which collects valuable information of the business and therefore provides price reduction and profit earning facilities is defined as inquiry letter”
Forms of Inquiry Letter
Forms of Inquiry letter may take any of the following forms:
- Solicited Inquiry: An inquiry made in response to the seller’s advertisement and publicity.
- Unsolicited Inquiry: An inquiry made at the buyer’s own initiative.
- Inquiry for favor: An inquiry about some other information which may be about some special price or some favorable terms.
- Routine inquiry: An inquiry made by an old buyer in the usual course of business so, A letter of inquiry which asks valuable information from seller or producer should be:
- Straightforward and courteous
- Positive and confident in tone
- Brief, complete and correct.
Content of Inquiry Letter / Factors to be considered for drafting an Inquiry Letter
Generally content of inquiry letter asks information regarding two things which are:
- Price, quality, quantity and availability of a product
- Business policy related information such as terms of credit
Keeping the above two things into consideration an inquiry letter should highlight the following matters:
- Name: The product that is going to be purchased should be mentioned clearly in such letter.
- Description: Information like quality, quantity, size & share, local or foreign origin and others of the inquired product should be mentioned clearly.
- Sample: Such letter should request for sample of the inquired product
- Price list: Such letter should ask for price list of the inquired product.
- System of Supply: When, where, how and in what terms the product should be traded must be asked by such letter.
- Payment system: What should be the way to pay the price should be sought by such letter.
- Transportation: The way of shipment of the inquired product should be asked by such letter.
- Provision for Addition or subtraction of value and quantity: Because of change in the economy or other events whether there would be any provision for plus/minus of value and quantity of inquired product must be sought by such letter.
- Assurance: If the sales term and other conditions favor the buyer, whether he can go for bulk purchase or not and in this connection what additional benefits will be given should be inquired by such letter.
The above matters should be mentioned properly in a systematic, brief and complete way.
Related Content of Letter Writing:
- Order Letter Sample and Order Confirmation Letter Sample
- Order Cancellation Letter Sample / Example / Format / Template
- Complaint Letter Definition and Meaning
- Collection Letter Definition and Meaning
- Importance of Collection Letter or Dunning Letter
- Adjustment Letter Definition and Meaning
- Factors to be considered in drafting Adjustment Letter
- How to Write a Complaint Letter Against a Goods or Service
- Status Inquiry Letter Sample for Effective Communication
- Order Refusal Letter Sample
- Letter of Credit Sample with its Definition
- Objective of Circular Letter and Factors for Drafting Circular Letter
- Definition of Status Inquiry Letter
- Definition of Order Confirmation Letter and Order Letter
- Introduction Letter Sample with its Definition and Importance
- Difference Between Letter of Recommendation and Letter of Introduction
- Different Methods or Stages of Collection Letter
- Difference between Circular Letter and Business Circular Letter
- Difference Between Circular Letter and Advertisement
- Circular Letter Sample for Effective Business Promotion
- Promotion Letter sample with its Definition
- Recommendation Letter definition and Importance of Recommendation Letters
- How to Write Recommendation Letter for Effective Result
- Definition of Order Cancellation Letter
- Adjustment letter sample, example, template and format
- Complaint Letter Sample, example, template and format
- Circular Letter Definition
- Characteristics and Features of Circular Letter
- Necessity or Importance of Circular Letter
- Letter of Resignation sample, template, example and format
- Termination Letter sample, example, template, and format
- Quotation Letter Sample / Format / Example / Template
- Dunning / Collection Letter Sample / Template / Example / Format