In a general word, collection letter definition is the notification sent by a supplier or seller to his customers or buyers for reminding the payment of dues (arising from credit sales) is called collection or dunning letters.
Collection Letter Definition
In the business world, a huge business is done or credit. But there are sometimes problems when the debtor (buyer) delays the payment beyond, the credit period. And debtor is found to be reluctant in the settlement of dues because of natural habit Here the seller has to resort to what is called a collection or dunning letter to solve the problem.
Collection letter definition according to As L. Gart’ “A request to settle the outstanding account is known as collection letter.
No businessman wants to lose customers and therefore a collection of debt appears to be one of the most difficult problems to the .creditor. Hence the collection business has to be -handled very carefully and the collection letters drafted tactfully so that customers can willingly response to pay the dues
Collection letters are usually written in a series and the typical stages are as follows:
- Sending statement of account;
- Reminders ;
- Inquiry and discussion;
- Appeal and urgency;
- Demand and warning.
Features of collection or dunning letter
The following are the features of a dunning letter.
- Collection of Debt: It is a letter that attempts to collect a debt from the customer or buyer.
- Patience: The creditor should keep patience while communicating through such a letter. Lack of patience may result in loss of money, goods and the customer’s future business.
- Positive tone: The tone of such a letter should be positive with a cheerful and optimistic approach. There should be fairness and self-respect for requesting the creditor.
- Exchange of letters: Such a letter is exchanged between debtor and creditor for the settlement of dues and usually written in a series.
- Language: The language of such a letter must be tact and persuasive so that collection of debt, as well as goodwill, remains side by side. Send by post: Dunning letters are sent by post through the registry
- Planned structure: The letter should have a planned structure to make the best possible efforts to retain the customers with the prompt collection.
The above features distinguish such letter from other business letters
Related Content of Letter Writing:
- Order Letter Sample And Order Confirmation Letter Sample
- Order Cancellation Letter Sample / Example / Format / Template
- Complaint Letter Definition and Meaning
- Importance of Collection Letter or Dunning Letter
- Adjustment Letter Definition and Meaning
- Factors to be considered in drafting Adjustment Letter
- How to Write a Complaint Letter Against a Goods or Service
- Status Inquiry Letter Sample for Effective Communication
- Order Refusal Letter Sample
- Letter of Credit Sample with its Definition
- The objective of Circular Letter and Factors for Drafting Circular Letter
- Definition of Status Inquiry Letter
- Definition of Order Confirmation Letter and Order Letter
- Introduction Letter Sample with its Definition and Importance
- Difference Between Letter of Recommendation and Letter of Introduction
- Different Methods or Stages of Collection Letter
- Difference between Circular Letter and Business Circular Letter
- Difference Between Circular Letter and Advertisement
- Definition, Forms, and Content of Inquiry Letter
- Circular Letter Sample for Effective Business Promotion
- Promotion Letter sample with its Definition
- Recommendation Letter definition and Importance of Recommendation Letters
- How to Write a Recommendation Letter for Effective Result
- Definition of Order Cancellation Letter
- Adjustment letter sample, example, template, and format
- Complaint Letter Sample, example, template, and format
- Circular Letter Definition
- Characteristics and Features of Circular Letter
- Necessity or Importance of Circular Letter
- Letter of Resignation sample, template, example, and format
- Termination Letter Sample, example, template, and format
- Quotation Letter Sample / Format / Example / Template
- Dunning / Collection Letter Sample / Template / Example / Format