Complaint letter definition can be described in many ways. A complaint letter is the part of written communication. In general word, complaint letter means a letter which is written to submit a complaint to the authority. And it is generally done when another way of the complaint is failure like phone, email etc. However, here we provide complaint letter definition in a formal way.
Complaint Letter Definition
A Complaint letter is a request for an adjustment. In other words, it is a letter that describes the damage; errors or mistakes happened to the delivered goods and therefore claims for compensation is known to be a complaint letter.
In the modern age, the chain of business is not limited within the boundary of the country. As business is expanding, its complexities are also increasing. So, mistake or fault is not a strange matter in the arena of business. There may be a wrong delivery of goods shipment of obsolete, poor quality or underweight goods, faulty packing, delivery after the specified date and other damages to the goods shipped. In the above cases, a buyer is supposed to suffer financial loss and therefore he has every reason to complain to the seller demanding compensation. Hence a letter is used to serve such purpose is called complaint letter.
To draft such a letter, buyer must have valid grounds to explain that he has suffered financial loss or otherwise there will be misunderstanding which may damage business relation buyer requires special care with the art of convincing the seller. Clarity and courtesy are the important factors to write a letter of complaint. The complaint should be made politely without showing any sign of anger.
Causes of Drafting Complaint Letter or, Sources of Mistakes giving rise to Complaints
The following are usual causes for which a complaint letter is drafted:
1. Problem with the delivered goods: If the goods that are delivered are :
- Not according to buyer’s specification such as color, brand, size etc.
- Wrong or poor quality; then a buyer can make a claim to the seller for the mistake.
2.Pricing: If there is any mistake in preparing the invoice of the shipped goods, then such letter is written.
3. Packing: Faulty or poor packing of the goods causes damage to the goods which can be claimed by the seller.
4. Transport: Goods are supposed to be shipped according to the convenience of the buyer. But if the wrong carrier is used it may call for writing such letter.
5. Terms & Condition: If the terms and condition of business are violated by the seller then such a letter is placed.
6. Faulty Insurance: If insurance coverage is not made properly according to an instruction of the buyer, then there may be claim through complaint letter.
On the above grounds, a buyer can complain but it must be in a decent and polite way.
Related Content of Letter Writing:
- Order Letter Sample and Order Confirmation Letter Sample
- Order Cancellation Letter Sample / Example / Format / Template
- Collection Letter Definition and Meaning
- Importance of Collection Letter or Dunning Letter
- Adjustment Letter Definition and Meaning
- Factors to be considered in drafting Adjustment Letter
- How to Write a Complaint Letter Against a Goods or Service
- Status Inquiry Letter Sample for Effective Communication
- Order Refusal Letter Sample
- Letter of Credit Sample with its Definition
- Objective of Circular Letter and Factors for Drafting Circular Letter
- Definition of Status Inquiry Letter
- Definition of Order Confirmation Letter and Order Letter
- Introduction Letter Sample with its Definition and Importance
- Difference Between Letter of Recommendation and Letter of Introduction
- Different Methods or Stages of Collection Letter
- Difference between Circular Letter and Business Circular Letter
- Difference Between Circular Letter and Advertisement
- Definition, Forms, and Content of Inquiry Letter
- Circular Letter Sample for Effective Business Promotion
- Promotion Letter sample with its Definition
- Recommendation Letter definition and Importance of Recommendation Letters
- How to Write Recommendation Letter for Effective Result
- Definition of Order Cancellation Letter
- Adjustment letter sample, example, template, and format
- Complaint Letter Sample, example, templat, and format
- Circular Letter Definition
- Characteristics and Features of Circular Letter
- Necessity or Importance of Circular Letter
- Letter of Resignation sample, template, example and format
- Termination Letter sample, example, template, and format
- Quotation Letter Sample / Format / Example / Template
- Dunning / Collection Letter Sample / Template / Example / Format